21st Poetry Africa Closing Night Thrills Audience
The 21st Poetry Africa Festival, organised by UKZN’s Centre for Creative Arts (CCA) within the College of Humanities, had its grand finale at the Bartel Arts Trust (BAT) Centre in Durban with closing performances by Samthing Soweto, Zoe the Seed and Manelis.
The exciting festival programme consisted of workshops, open mic acts, book launches and musical and poetry performances.
During the annual Slam Jam event, Durban poets competed for the title of Poetry Africa Slam champion while final performances from Poetry Africa participants were also presented.
Acting CCA Director Ms Chipo Zhou said: ‘The Poetry Africa stage has for the past 20 years hosted world renowned poets including Buddy Wakefield, Chiwoniso, Lebo Mashile, Joshua Bennet, Chirikure, and Keorapetse Kgositsile.
‘This year was no different - the calibre of poets was nothing short of outstanding, and the diversity made for a fiery amalgam of lyrical musicality.’
The Schools Poetry Competition, formed part of the Festival. ‘This popular component of the festival gives learners the opportunity to showcase their poetry writing skills,’ said Festival curator and poet, Ms Mandi Vundla.
The Poetry Africa 2017 Schools Poetry Winners:
- Karabo Rathebe (Westville Girls High) for My Africa
- Nicola Marais (Hillcrest High School) for Refugee Riverbed
- Rumbidzai Vambe (St Anne’s Diocesan College) for A Praise Poem
- Mlondi Mdlovu (Strelitzia Secondary School) for Ntokazi Yezimanga
- Sbahle Magwaza (Ndlongolwane High School) for Bamthathile Naye Uvumile
- Nonsikelelo Mnguni (Mgitshwa High School) for Mhlahli Wendlela.
Words: Melissa Mungroo